FAQs

faqs


Please take a look at the following frequently asked questions:

If your question remains unanswered please contact us on 01442 507324 or use the Contact Us form and we will be more than happy to help.

How did Pepper get its name?

In 1987, Robert Breakwell and his late wife Karen, together with four friends, came up with the idea of presenting a concert using local musicians, vocalists and school children to celebrate the Beatles' famous Sgt Pepper album and raise funds for a local charity.  

Before the idea could come to fruition, Karen was diagnosed with terminal cancer.   Throughout her illness she was cared for by a nursing team from Iain Rennie Hospice at Home.  Sadly, Karen died in July 1988.   In recognition of the support both he and Karen had received, Robert became a volunteer for Iain Rennie.  In the same year he was persuaded to revisit his idea of staging a charitable fundraising concert and organised what turned out to be the first Pepper Show, in tribute to his late wife.  

In 1993 Robert set up The Pepper Foundation – its name reflecting his earlier tribute to the Beatles' Sgt Pepper songs.   Having started with one part-time nurse the charity now supports seven full-time nursing specialists and a family support team who provide 24 hour on-call care and support, 365 days a year for up to 50 life limited children and their families at any one time.  The number of referrals is increasing year on year.

How much has been raised over the years?

The Pepper Foundation has raised well over £2,000,000 through fundraising activities and donations.    In 2018 the Foundation celebrates 30 years of fundraising through the Pepper Shows.  In 2013, in recognition of his contributions through the shows, Pepper patron Robert Breakwell was nominated for and received, the ITV Anglia Local Hero Award.  He went on to represent the Anglia region at the national Pride of Britain Awards.

How much needs to be raised annually to pay for the nursing service?

In the current financial year, it is anticipated that the nursing service costs will be £450,000+.   The nursing service currently only receives 20% from statutory sources, the remaining 80% (£320,000) has to come from the fundraising efforts of individuals, community groups, businesses, trusts, schools, fundraising events and from gifts and legacies.  Any gift you choose to make will help Pepper to continue supporting the vital work of the Pepper nurses in the local area.